Special Education Law
We are committed to providing quality legal services in the area of special education to families of children and youth with disabilities and to developing and fostering good working relationships between parents and school districts.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and New York State Education Law require schools to identify and provide a “child with a disability” with a “free appropriate public education” (FAPE) that meets his or her unique needs in the “least restrictive environment” (LRE). In doing so, a school must develop an individualized education program (IEP) to meet that child’s individual needs. The IEP must be reasonably calculated to confer “meaningful educational benefit” to the child.
The specific legal services our firm provides include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Case evaluation and strategic planning;
- Assist in preparing for special education eligibility and/or IEP review meetings before the Committee for Preschool Special Education (CPSE) and/or the Committee for Special Education (CSE);
- Advocate at eligibility and/or IEP review meetings before both the CPSE and CSE;
- Assist in appropriate classification of a child with a disability;
- Request and pursue Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) at school district expense where appropriate;
- Assist in special education dispute resolution;
- Appeal from CPSE and CSE determinations to impartial due process hearing, State Review Office (SRO), and to New York State and Federal Courts.
- Disciplinary proceedings and manifestation hearings.
- We are dedicated to helping children with disabilities receive the education they need to be successful and are entitled to.
General Education Legal Services
We are committed to providing quality legal services in the area of education. The specific legal services our firm provides include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- School safety, harassment, bullying and violence: Our firm is actively involved in federal and state level litigation and lobbying activities to hold and make our schools more accountable for the safety of students. Our ongoing litigation further aims to correct the underreporting of bullying and other violent incidents by schools which only undermines our children’s safety;
- Student disciplinary proceedings and hearings;
- Students’ constitutional rights;
- Protection of the student’s rights and educational record;
- Residency issues;
- Budget challenges.
Please call our South Nyack Office at (845) 353-2000
for inquiries regarding our Education and Special Education Practice,
or to arrange a consultation with one of our lawyers below:
Mary E. Marzolla, Associate